Please be advised that NSF has issued a revised Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG), effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 28, 2019. A webinar to brief the community on the changes to the new PAPPG will be held on November 27 at 2 PM EST. Sign up to be notified when registration is available on the outreach notifications website, by selecting “All NSF Grants and Policy Outreach Events & Notifications.”

In accordance with Section of the NIH Grants Policy Statement, recipients of NIH grant awards under the SNAP mechanism are required to report, as part of the grant’s progress report, whether the estimated unobligated balance (including prior-year carryover) is expected to be greater than 25 percent of the current year’s total approved budget. Visit the NIH RPPR Estimated Unobligated Balance webpage to learn more. will go live on April 30, 2018! Users will be able to prepare and submit full, research non-collaborative proposals in The initial release of this new capability will run in parallel with existing FastLane proposal preparation and submission capabilities, so users can choose to prepare and submit full, research non-collaborative proposals in or in FastLane starting on April 30, 2018. Click here for more details on how to register and add roles.

Did you know that the eRA Commons allows principal investigators the ability to grant permission to have others at their institution help with some grants administration tasks? You might want to consider whether delegating any or all of the following tasks is right for you.

NSF PIs must complete a support section as part of the RPPR. As a reminder, the section should only be completed if the funding support is provided from a source other than award being reported on. PIs should not list effort on other awards, this is not the same as other support. See RPPR Format For Interim Project Reporting. Note that these instructions should be followed until further notice.

Transitioning to Workspace: On December 31, 2017, will officially retire the legacy PDF application package as a method to apply for a federal grant. To apply for a grant opportunity using Workspace, you need to be registered with See the instructions on how to register. See the instructions on how to register here.

Coeus Awards Module in Coeus Lite is now available for users to see a summary of the Award information, and to have access to attachments from all modules, including ePaws. Users will now be able to search for department Awards, glance at a summary view of the entire Award and view all related project documents. See the quick card for guidance on how to use My Awards.

According to the Fly America Act, all travels that are to be reimbursed from federal grants and contracts must be booked through U.S. carriers, but there are few exceptions to this rule. Learn more about the exceptions.

Be aware that Title 45 Code of Federal Regulations Part 46; defines a “human subject” as a living individual about whom an investigator obtains:

  1. data through intervention or interaction with the individual, (such as, interviews, surveys, clinical testing, or any other physical intervention or personal interaction), or,
  2. identifiable private information.

Legal requirements to protect human subjects apply to a broader range of research than many investigators realize. Protections are required for research that uses:

  • Bodily materials, such as cells, blood or urine, tissues, organs, hair or nail clippings, even if you did not collect these materials.
  • Residual diagnostic specimens, including specimens obtained for routine patient care that would have been discarded if not used for research.
  • Private information, such as medical information that can be readily identified with individuals, even if the information was not specifically
    collected for the study in question. Research on cell lines or DNA samples that can be associated with individuals fall into this category.

Please visit the Office of Human Subject Research Protection for more information.

Before making travel arrangements please examine, in collaboration with the Northeastern University Research Enterprise Services(NU-RES), the terms of your contract or grant award regarding foreign travel for which you plan to claim reimbursement using funds from a sponsored award. NU-RES should be consulted well in advance of booking arrangements. For additional information please review the Northeastern University Travel Policy.

SSB and E-print are the tools to view your award in Banner, information on interpreting both can be found on the Banner Finance Help page via your MyNEU Services and Links tab. In addition there is a Banner Finance for Research Tip Sheet available to assist you. In the event you are new to the University it’s important to note that Banner Finance access to view your awards isn’t automatically granted, it must be requested. The instructions and forms to request Banner Finance access can be found on the Financial Planning, Strategy, and Analytics Office site under Links, Forms and Lists.

In order to access your account you may need to request access via the Banner Finance Help Page (accessed via MYNEU) under General Info at:

Once you have secured your Banner access the following resources could be helpful:

Closing out your award is a multi-step process involving NU-RES, the PI, and the Department Administrator. The formal process is initiated by NU_RESonce your award is within approximately 60 days of ending. A checklist of action items and email notice is sent to the PI and Department Administrator.

CLOSEOUT CHECKLIST: All re-occurring items must be stopped or redirected by the end date to ensure timely closure. Typical categories are listed below:

Salary & Labor Distribution: All Salary/Effort charged to this cost center must be moved off by the award end date. Review and correct any changes as necessary. PDC forms can be found on the HR/Payroll website for use in moving/correcting salary distributions. PDC(s) can be future dated.

Student employees – contact Student Employment to terminate/re-assign employment if necessary Student Employment.

Do you Have a Procurement Card: If YES, Research Finance will contact Accounts Payable to cancel the Procurement Card.

Do You Have a Copy Card/Codes: If YES, YOU must contact Reprographics (617-373-2766) to terminate all copy cards and copy codes associated with this cost center.

Animal Charges: Please stop all reoccurring animal charges against this award.

Final Purchases/Encumbrances:Submit and approve any remaining invoices and follow-up on any that have not arrived in a timely manner. Review outstanding encumbrances on the award. Liquidate/cancel any encumbrances. Refer to the Procurement website for instruction: Purchasing Encumbrance Close Form.

Correct Expenditure Type for equipment purchases: Review expenditure type for all equipment purchases, account codes 73001-73012. Items costing less than $1,500 must be coded as non-capital purchases.

Final Review of Expenses: Review the award terms & conditions and ensure that all expenses should be charged to this award and if not, transfer the expenses to a non-sponsored program cost center.

Cost sharing: Any committed cost sharing must be expended by the time the project ends.

Sub-awards: Please remind each of your subrecipients to submit a final invoice (inserting FINAL at the top), final reports, and final invention statement typically within 60 days after subaward end date. Please notify the Manager of Subwards via email that these requirements have been met.

Northeastern University is required by most federal sponsors and many private sponsors to submit final financial closeout reports within 90-days after the award end date (some agencies may require early submission.) Please assist the Office of Research Administration and Finance to fulfill Northeastern University’s obligation to our sponsor.

Your Grant Officer or Sponsored Account Analyst is always available to help you manage both non-financial and financial related aspects of your grant.

Find your point of contact on our Contacts webpage and select the resource based on department (for Research Administration related questions), College (for Research Finance related questions), or Subject Matter expert.

Before requesting a subcontract, please determine if it is more appropriate to issue a subcontract or vendor agreement. Please use the following for guidance and to assist you in making this decision. If in doubt please contact via email

Subcontract Request Form

NU Subcontract Policy

If you would like to negotiate a CDA, NDA, MTA, or Data Rights Agreement please contact Eva Pasadas in the office of Research Administration and Finance or via telephone at 617-373-5316.

If you would like to apply for funding or negotiate a sponsored research agreement from industry or corporation please contact Susan Watts in the Office of Research Administration and Finance via email at or via telephone at 617-373-5316.

Below is some basic information you will need to get you started on this exciting endeavor.

  1. First, are you eligible to be a Principal Investigator?
    • All NU faculty are automatically eligible, all others must request temporary PI status.
  2. Choose a funding opportunity
  3. Once you have your opportunity in hand, get familiar with the proposal requirements.
    • Read the directions, most proposals are rejected simply because the directions were not followed correctly!
    • Is it being submitted electronically? Make sure you download any application forms (ie: kits) and fill them out in anticipation of submitting to our office (by emailing them to your grant officer)
    • Need help filling out those pesky forms? Check out our fact sheet on the Policies & Guidelines webpage.
    • Need help with your budget? Click here
  4. With our Flexible e-Submission approach, proposal preparation is based on the users preferred method. Visit our Proposal Prep webpage for more details on submitting your application.

Questions about Coeus and ePaws should be directed to